All properties must have the necessary official certificates. Here at Mi Casa del Vallés, we explain what each document is and we help you to process them with the best experts from the sector.


The certificate of occupancy is the document that certifies that a property complies with the habitability and safety requirements set out by law and that it is fit for human habitation.

It is mandatory for:

  • Renting or selling a property.
  • Registering with the relevant utility companies for water, gas and electricity services.


The energy efficiency certificate is a document that certifies compliance with the energy efficiency classification obtained and that enables the building's energy efficiency label to be issued.

The energy efficiency label indicates the energy efficiency classification obtained by the whole building or by part of it.

The energy efficiency certificate provides useful information for the end user regarding the energy performance of the building or property that they wish to buy or rent. It also provides options for the user in terms of how to improve energy efficiency, through the recommendations included on the energy efficiency certificates of existing buildings.

The certificate was made mandatory:

  • As of 1 June 2013 for existing buildings and properties.
  • As of 1 November 2007 for new builds.


The Technical Building Inspection (TBI) is the inspection that all buildings of a certain age must pass, with the aim of assessing whether they meet all of the safety requirements.

The obligation for residential buildings to undergo the technical inspection is as follows:

  • "Vertical property": the owners.
  • "Horizontal property": community of owners. This inspection requires a visit by the approved technician, during which they will check the communal elements of the property, such as the façade, rooftop, sanitation and plumbing facilities, etc. Access to private properties is not normally required, unless the technician deems it necessary.

It is mandatory in the following cases:

  • Multifamily residential buildings, depending on when they were built.
  • Si ho determinen els programes o les ordenances locals.
  • If required by local programmes or regulations. If the building or the properties in the building benefit from public programmes promoting restoration.

Residential buildings that are initially declared derelict by the relevant local authority and single-family buildings do not require a technical inspection.